Monday, March 23, 2015

Everything You NEED to know about your toothpaste!

  Your toothpaste is toxic. Yeah you heard me, TOXIC. If this comes to you as a shock, feel free to take a minute.

     Not everybody has a skincare routine or makeup routine but one routine most of us (hopefully) have In common is that we do brush our teeth twice a day, 365 days a year. Here's the catch, I bet you didn't know that your toothpaste is TOXIC!  If your like me then you've most likely been going about your day blindly brushing in the morning and evening with whatever paste your dentist recommends. Hey, there professionals right? They obviously have my best interest and health In mind so it must be safe!
     Wrong! If you take a look at the back of your toothpaste you mind find something along the lines of this:
    "WARNING: Keep out of reach of children under 6 years of age. If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional help or contact a poison control center immediately.”
     What makes toothpaste so toxic? Let's take a look, shall we? Your every day conventional toothpaste contains harmful toxins such as:

Sodium Laurel Sulfate (SLS) Is often found in personal care products. It's a common additive that creates that foam you love in soap, shampoo, body wash, toothpaste, laundry detergent and even industrial grade cleaning products. If ingested, vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, skin and eye irritation are possible side effects. Has also been linked to cancer, organ toxicity, and a skin irritant. 

Sodium Fluoride once used as an insecticide and a rodenticide. Sideffects include, brain damage, damage to the thyroid gland, bones, gastrointestinal tract, pineal gland and has links to certain cancers. Fluoride is not just in toothpaste but can be found in several dental treatments, and is also added to our water supply.

Triclosan Is an additive  antibacterial used to prevent bacterial contamination. Used in a wide range of products such as, soap, cosmetics, furniture, toys, personal care products, cookware, let her, paper and plastic, and rubber. Recent studies have linked Triclosan to be a skin irritant, disruption of endocrine,  adverse effects to the thyroid hormone, antibiotic resistance and negative impact on aquatic ecosystems (products containing Triclosan  often end up in our water system, being flushed or washed down the drain. For example soap).

DEA or Diethanolamine Is a common foaming agent used in wide variety of personal care products. Research indicates that DEA is a hormone disruptor, side effects with the endocrine system. Constant exposure can possibly lead to liver and kidney cancer. And possibly a carcinogen when combined with other chemicals. 

Propylene Glycol Is a solvent that can be found in industrial products such as engine coolants, paint, anti-freeze, varnishes, Enamels, and even in airplane de-icers. Propylene Glycol Is also found in numerous personal care products and even food. Exposure can result In skin irritation, and build up of acid in the body. Even though there are not many studies indicating the toxicity In propylene glycol, do you really want to put something in your mouth that's used in anti-freeze?
                                     Moral Of The Story?
              Check out my next post for some safer alternatives!
                             Hope your having a great week!